Invoking remote EJBs on JBoss AS 4/5/6 from JBoss AS 7

Invoking remote EJBs on JBoss AS 4/5/6 from JBoss AS 7

Stephen Coy
Hi there,

For interest sake last week I worked out a solution to a user's problem related to calling remote EJBs from JBoss 7 that were hosted on older versions of JBoss.

See <https://community.jboss.org/thread/204513?tstart=0> for the background.

Anyway, I have since worked out that I could bundle this up in a module so that clients would only need to add a jboss-deployment-structure.xml to their apps to get this functionality:

<jboss-deployment-structure>
    <deployment>
        <dependencies>
            <module name="org.jboss.ejb-client.compatibility" />
        </dependencies>
    </deployment>
</jboss-deployment-structure>

I've incorporated the module into my clone of the current JBoss master branch at <https://github.com/sfcoy/jboss-as/tree/ejb-client.compatibility>.

Should I send a pull request for this?

Cheers,

Stephen Coy

Re: Invoking remote EJBs on JBoss AS 4/5/6 from JBoss AS 7

Jaikiran Pai
I'm just catching up with that discussion and haven't fully read it, but
one important thing to note is that although the invocation might work,
the tx and security support won't be propagated from the remote client
(on AS7) to the invocation which ends up on older versions of AS.

-Jaikiran
On Monday 03 September 2012 01:37 PM, Stephen Coy wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> For interest sake last week I worked out a solution to a user's problem related to calling remote EJBs from JBoss 7 that were hosted on older versions of JBoss.
>
> See<https://community.jboss.org/thread/204513?tstart=0>  for the background.
>
> Anyway, I have since worked out that I could bundle this up in a module so that clients would only need to add a jboss-deployment-structure.xml to their apps to get this functionality:
>
> <jboss-deployment-structure>
>      <deployment>
>          <dependencies>
>              <module name="org.jboss.ejb-client.compatibility" />
>          </dependencies>
>      </deployment>
> </jboss-deployment-structure>
>
> I've incorporated the module into my clone of the current JBoss master branch at<https://github.com/sfcoy/jboss-as/tree/ejb-client.compatibility>.
>
> Should I send a pull request for this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stephen Coy

Re: Invoking remote EJBs on JBoss AS 4/5/6 from JBoss AS 7

Stephen Coy
The security context certainly seems to be transferred over. At least the the correct CallerPrincipal seems to show up.

I didn't check what was happening with transactions though. It is, however, wired into the AS 7 org.jboss.jboss-transaction-spi module.

Steve C

On 03/09/2012, at 6:12 PM, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm just catching up with that discussion and haven't fully read it, but
> one important thing to note is that although the invocation might work,
> the tx and security support won't be propagated from the remote client
> (on AS7) to the invocation which ends up on older versions of AS.
>

> -Jaikiran
> On Monday 03 September 2012 01:37 PM, Stephen Coy wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> For interest sake last week I worked out a solution to a user's problem related to calling remote EJBs from JBoss 7 that were hosted on older versions of JBoss.
>>
>> See<https://community.jboss.org/thread/204513?tstart=0>  for the background.
>>
>> Anyway, I have since worked out that I could bundle this up in a module so that clients would only need to add a jboss-deployment-structure.xml to their apps to get this functionality:
>>
>> <jboss-deployment-structure>
>>     <deployment>
>>         <dependencies>
>>             <module name="org.jboss.ejb-client.compatibility" />
>>         </dependencies>
>>     </deployment>
>> </jboss-deployment-structure>
>>
>> I've incorporated the module into my clone of the current JBoss master branch at<https://github.com/sfcoy/jboss-as/tree/ejb-client.compatibility>.
>>
>> Should I send a pull request for this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Stephen Coy

Re: Invoking remote EJBs on JBoss AS 4/5/6 from JBoss AS 7

Stephen Coy
So,

The security context definitely seems to make it across the wire. I can get the correct caller principal and role based method permissions are behaving as expected.

Transactions are a different story however. I will dig deeper, because I think this will be useful for those that want/need to be able to perform gradual migrations.

Cheers,

Steve C